Newton maximizes his natural gifts by performing full-body exercises that challenge every muscle group simultaneously. This training approach ensures that his muscles are strong and able to fire in sync, powering the incredibly coordinated movements he demonstrates every Sunday.
Unlike exercises that target a specific muscle group, Newton's full-body strength routine enhances his functional strength from head to toe. Perform the following routine once or twice a week to train like a Panther. Check out STACK's cover feature on Cam Newton to learn more about how the QB is preparing to take his next level.
Cam Newton Workout
Single-Arm Dumbbell Snatch
- Assume athletic stance, holding dumbbell between legs
- Explode upward with hips, knees and ankles while shrugging with straight arm
- Pull dumbbell up keeping it close to body
- Drop into quarter squat and catch dumbbell overhead with arm straight
Sets/Reps: 3x5 each arm
Benefits: Enhances full-body explosion as well as shoulder strength and stability. Lower-body explosion combined with an upper-body movement mimics the throwing motion, resulting in crisp, powerful passes.
Deep Lunge Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Holding dumbbells at shoulders, assume deep lunge position with back knee just above ground
- Drive dumbbells toward ceiling until arms are straight
- Lower with control and repeat for specified reps
- Perform set with opposite leg forward
Benefits: Holding the lunge position with weight overhead builds strength and endurance in the glutes, quads, hip flexors and core—the key power drivers for a high-powered QB who poses a threat on the ground.
- Assume push-up position with heavy chain positioned across back
- Perform controlled push-ups for as many reps as possible
Sets/Reps: 4x max reps
Benefits: The chain not only adds weight to the movement, it forces Cam's core muscles to engage throughout the set. As he pushes up, more of the chain lifts off the ground, increasing the resistance at a point where Newton is strongest. The fluctuating resistance matches his strength curve and stimulates upper-body strength and muscle growth more than a standard Push-Up.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock