As the baseball and softball seasons gear up, it can be hard to find time to hit the weight room to maintain core, lower- and upper-body strength. But building strength in these areas is important to develop a powerful swing and prevent injury.
Using just a few combo superset exercises, the following 15-minute workout is a good option for busy times—and it requires very little equipment.
- Water bottle
- Timer (optional)
- Two moderately heavy dumbbells (70-80% RM)
- Perform an upper- and lower-body dynamic warm-up (e.g., Arm Circles and Lunges).
- Finish with a cooldown—upper- and lower-body static stretches for greater range of motion and flexibility.
- Sets/Reps: 2x10
- Rest time between supersets per exercise, 30 seconds; 60 seconds between combo exercise supersets.
- Hydrate before, during and after workouts.
- Perform the workout two or three times per week on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery.
- Change the sequence of combo exercise supersets each workout for variety.
Seated Dumbbell Rows/Crabwalks
- Sit on the mat and hold the dumbbells with an underhand (supine) grip.
- Extend your arms at waist-level and keep your legs slightly bent.
- Explosively pull the dumbbells toward your waist, pause one second,and return to start position in three seconds.
- Do nine more reps and immediately put down the dumbbells on the sides of the mat.
- Without resting, do Crabwalks back and forth on the mat from one end to the other, 10 times.
- Rest and repeat.
This is a great combo exercise superset for core, upper- and lower-body strength, and building up the forearms, biceps and triceps.
Alternating Explosive Push-Ups/Squat Thrusts Combination Superset with Prone Planks
Several muscles are involved in this challenging combo of exercises for developing upper- and lower-body power, and core strength.
- Assume a push-up position on the mat. Lower in three seconds and press up in one second with your hands leaving the mat.
- Rapidly follow with a Squat Thrust and continue alternating explosive Push-Ups with Squat Thrusts for 10 reps.
- Superset with Prone Planks.
- Hydrate and repeat each movement.
Dumbbell Press-Outs/Side Lunges & Twists Combo
These movements build up your arms as well as your chest and shoulder muscles (Press-Outs) and strengthen your hips/thighs and core muscles (Side Lunges & Twists).
- Assume an athletic stance and hold one dumbbell horizontally at each end close to your chest.
- Explosively press the dumbbell away from your chest and extend your arms, while laterally lunging with your right leg.
- Pause one second, then rotate your body with the dumbbell to the right in a twisting motion (like swinging a bat).
- Return to start position and do nine more reps.
- Without rest, combine the Press-Outs while laterally lunging left and twisting for 10 reps.
- Hydrate and repeat.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock