Perform the following exercises as a superset:
Half-Kneeling Dumbbell Curl
- Assume a half-kneeling position on a pad, holding dumbbells at your sides with palms facing in
- Bend your elbows and rotate your palms inward to curl dumbbells to your shoulders
- Slowly lower to the start and repeat
Coaching Points: Keep your core tight // Do not swing the dumbbells or use momentum
Barlow: "This is a great exercise for developing the muscles that will assist in the bigger lifts and movements he'll perform."
- Lie on a bench holding dumbbells with your palms facing together and arms extended straight over your chest and shoulders
- Bend your arms at a 90-degree angle without allowing your elbows to splay out
- Maintaining 90-degree elbow bend, lower the weights toward the floor by reaching as far back as possible
- Drive the dumbbells up to the start in one fluid motion.
Coaching Point: Keep your hips on the bench and your core engaged
Barlow: "The Pullover is close to a Skullcrusher, but it involves more of the lat muscle."
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock