A lot of football teams have "clubs" who require a certain level of performance in the weight room for entry.
Many high school or college teams have a "Half Ton Club," for example, which requires a combined Deadlift max, Bench Press max and Squat max of at least 1,000 pounds.
For the San Francisco 49ers, such a club is simply referred to as "The Grown Man's Club."
To join this exclusive group, you simply have to execute two reps of one simple exercise. Here's what it takes:
- Pick up one 180-pound dumbbell in each hand (this requires the help of a spotter)
- Lie back into a dumbbell bench press position
- Knock out at least two reps with the combined 360 pounds
If you're a 49ers player capable of accomplishing this herculean feat, you get to sign your name on the "Golden Bench:"
You'll notice there aren't many signatures on there—in fact, since the start of 2017, just eight players have been able to accomplish the required feat.
As The Athletic's Matt Barrows notes, each dumbbell is roughly equivalent to one Marquise Goodwin. When you're bench pressing dumbbells the weight of actual NFL players, you're most certainly a grown man.
Photo Credit: Icon Sportswire/Getty Images
- Why You Should Be Floor Pressing
- How to Add 30 Pounds to Your Bench Press in 20 Minutes
- The Conditioning Test Adrian Peterson Can't Afford to Fail