STACK Exercise of the Week helps you improve your overall sports performance—including strength, speed, conditioning and flexibility.
Who Does It
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks Defenseman
Sports Performance Benefits
This exercise increases your leg power when pushing out to the side, creating a more powerful skating stride or improving your ability to change direction on the field. It also helps eliminate lower-body imbalances, making both legs equally powerful. Performing the move regularly can also enhance your balance and coordination, which will help prevent lower-body injuries.
- Stand on your left leg with your hips and knees slightly bent
- Extend your left hip, knee and ankle to jump forward and to the right at a 45-degree angle
- Land on the ball of your right foot with your hips and knees slightly bent to absorb the impact
- Immediately jump off your right leg in the opposite direction
- Continue bounding in this pattern for the specified distance
Sets/Distance: 2x20 meters
- Keep your back flat and chest up
- Swing your arms with each bound
- Aim for maximum height and distance
- Begin by holding the landing position and progress to continuous bounding
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock