Defined arms and a chiseled midsection don't require countless hours of Curls and Sit-Ups. Instead, you should approach your gym sessions in a full-body workout format. If you want a detailed, sculpted physique, you need to attack the "big players."
This means performing compound movements like Squats, Deadlifts and Presses, which engage multiple muscle groups at one time.
The following full-body workout for men calls for lifting heavy loads and creating high metabolic demands to improve strength and power. Bottom line: To achieve maximum gains, train heavy, engaging multiple muscle groups to boost your metabolism beyond your hour in the gym.
Try this workout two or three times per week for six to eight weeks and watch your body change!
- Foam Roll - 30 seconds each major muscle group
- Deadlift - 4x6-8
- Dumbbell Chest Press - 4x8-10
- Pull-Ups - 4x8-10
- Push Press - 4x15
- Cross-Body Hammer Curls - 4x8-10
- Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions - 4x10-12
- Ab Rollouts - 4x12-15
- Steady-State Cardio—e.g., 20-30 minutes at approximately 60-75% of maximum intensity) - 2x per week.
- Interval Training - 20 minutes once or twice per week, using a 3:1 rest to work ratio (e.g., 45 seconds of steady-state recovery followed by 15 seconds of all-out effort).
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock