It has been confirmed that X-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer will return to the franchise to direct the upcoming X-Men Apocalypse. When a sex abuse lawsuit was filed against Singer earlier this year, it was unclear whether he would be involved in the new movie. In August, his accuser dropped the lawsuit, so things seem to be back on track for the filmmaker. Singer, who has directed three installments of the film series, sat out the third and fourth movies so he could direct Superman Returns, before coming back to direct the mega hit, Days of Future Past.
Singer is also contributing to the screenplay, which is being written by a team that includes Days of Future Past alum Simon Kinberg together with Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, who worked on X-Men-2.
In Apocalypse, the characters will travel back to the 1980's, which means younger versions of the classic characters will be introduced. The impressive cast will feature returning stars, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Michale Fassbender.
Regarding whether the timeline requires characters such as Storm, Jean Grey and Cyclops to be replaced by younger actors, Kinberg told Yahoo Movies: "It'd be very hard to do, because Halle, Famke and Jimmy, and others have done such wonderful jobs of bringing those characters to life. But I also would have said before First Class that there would be no actors who can stand alongside Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart."
X-Men Apocalypse is set to hit theaters nationwide on May 27, 2016.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock